Thursday, October 30, 2008

SEASONS CHANGE & SO DO WE

The Fall has settled in and I have pack away the sandals and flip flops. It's like saying see-you-later to a good friend for six months. LOL Being from California, I grew up with one season year around. Yes Cali can get cold, especially at night, but never in the 20's like it does here. I've been in Georgia over five years now and I still prefer one monotone season but in the last year I've grown to appreciate WHY the change of seasons is so important.

In the Fall I literally fall....WAY BACK. I believe God designed this time for us to reacquaint ourselves with the things that are important to us and most of all, to grow. This is a time of deep reflection for me. I still go out; I guess that's expected from a semi-social butterfly but my soul is in Fall mode so I honor that with more quiet time. I can actually feel the difference within me. Can you feel it? It’s like the end of a roller coaster ride; you heart stops pounding and the adrenaline subsides. The Summer was the sensual climax that stopped my breath; the Fall is the morning after and I can breath again.

In the Fall I am settled.

I have a different regimen during this time of the year and I’m more shut off from the world. I get home from work and head straight to my bedroom. In my sanctuary I read, write, meditate, pray and listen to music. There is purposely NO television in my bedroom so I don't get an urge to be entranced by the idiot box.


Do you have a Fall and/or Winter rituals? I want to hear all about it.

2 comments:

Sandman said...

My ritual is complaining about the cold. Hopefully I can pass that on to my kids and they'll do it with their families one day.

Nice blog.

Anonymous said...

I hadnt ever really thought about my fall/winter rituals. I grew up in relatively warm weather throughout (and I love warmth) so actual changes in seasons has been a decade-long adjustment..I dont know if i change but i do like watching the leaves change, i like fall and the crispness that takes over. Its like the cycle of life - the cold comes in and things are hibernating, preparing to be renewed - and that includes me.