Wednesday, April 6, 2011

4 Steps to Prioritize Your Life

Recently I took a class called, "Achieving Your Highest Priorities." When I signed up for the course I didn't know that I would learn not only how to prioritize my life but also how to identify and quantify those things that need to be prioritized. I figure I'll have a shot-gun wedding one day because that's how carefree my life has been. A small chapel with an Elvis impersonating priest, here I come! With so many responsibilities piling up - I had to make some sense of things, so with the help of this class I created a four step plan to prioritize my life.


Step 1: CREATE MANAGABLE TO-DO LISTS - Part of manageability is being realistic about the time needed to complete the tasks at hand. A manageable list means it's in your control. Don't create a list that you can't manage. You are the only person that can see to its success so realistically determine what you can accomplish for the day. The items that you couldn't get to, move them to tomorrow's list but try not to keep pushing an item. Don't push an item more than three times without completing it.


Step 2: HONOR YOURSELF - Make sure your list has at least one item on it that requires you to honor yourself. Whether it's taking a hot bubble bath or listening to your favorite music artist - make it a priority to do something special for you everyday! I mean, why the hell not! The person we take for granted the most is the one you have the deepest connection with...yourself! If I'm not mistaken, your physical and emotional health is your number one priority, right? After all, you can't be a beneficial addition to someone else’s life if you are toxically self destructing. You can share your highest light with others when you take the time to honor your soul.


Step 3: DO THE HARDEST ITEMS ON THE LIST FIRST - Those pesky bills and calls to the bill collectors always seems to make the list - and they are always the very last thing we want to do. If you get them out of the way the issues will be resolved quicker and you will feel good making a huge check X indicating its completion. Yeah, it's fun to eliminate items from your list - but it's especially gratifying to check-off an item you dreaded completing. Now it's done and that's one for the books!


Step 4: DO YOUR LIST THE NIGHT BEFORE - The start of your day is usually pretty hectic with cooking breakfast, rushing the kids off to school and getting to work. The best time to do your list is right before your head hits the pillow. Set aside 10 minutes or so to create an action list of things for you to do the next day. To me, the order doesn't matter but I would highlight the items that you don't necessarily feel like doing so you can tackle them first and foremost. The rest of the day will run smoothly after that. Throughout the day you may want to add to your list. I use the notepad application on my IPhone. It's great for jotting down important reminders.


Here's one of my recent lists:



  1. Call Ticket Master

  2. Pay Medical Bill

  3. Make Hair Appointment

  4. Honor yourself: step class

  5. Order party supplies

  6. Check PO Box Note* The highlighted item was my least favorite thing to do so I did it first. Is my list manageable? YES

Well it seems like I'm on the road to effectively prioritizing my life! What steps are you taking to achieve your highest priority?

1 comment:

shannon said...

This is great! Prioritizing and making lists (and actually sticking to them) is something I really need to work on..thanks for the inspiration!